St. Rita’s School opened its doors in 1951 with 250 students in six grades under the direction of the Sisters of Notre Dame and the pastor, Monsignor Joseph Gallagher. In 1959 a second story was added to the building with six more classrooms, a library, and later, a computer lab and preschool (which serves children from 2 ½ years through 5 years old). The school property also includes a cafeteria, auditorium, and day care rooms across the street from St. Rita’s Church. St. Rita’s School has a tradition of providing a quality Catholic education to a diverse population in an inner-city multicultural community of San Diego.
We at St. Rita’s School recognize that a Catholic education is one of the most effective ways available to assist parents in the education of their children. We believe that Christ is the center of our school. He is the unseen but ever present teacher, the model for our faculty, and the inspiration for our children and their parents. We provide a quality Catholic education that endeavors to enrich the spiritual and intellectual development of our students. We strive to prepare them to be the Catholic leaders of the future – in their parishes, their communities and their world.